Here are the recipes featured on FOX 2 News Morning:
(Scroll down for "snappy apps.")
Beer & Beef Jerky Basket
Things you'll need
- Brown paper bag
- Twine string
- 2 Coasters
- 2 bottles Micro Brew
- Small 4 oz bag peanuts in the shell
- Your favorite Beef Jerky
- Cellophane bags
Package the peanuts and the beef jerky in separate cellophane bags and tie with twine. Package the beer, peanuts and jerky in a brown giant size brown lunch bag. Roll the top of the bag down to expose the top of the items. Tie twine around the bag along with the coasters.
1 head of garlic
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup of kosher salt
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
2. Place the garlic on tin foil, drizzle with the olive oil. Wrap up the garlic and place in the oven.
3. Cook for about 30-40 minutes until the garlic cloves are soft.
4. Once the garlic has cooled, squeeze out the roasted garlic and stir in the salt. Using a fork or your fingers, gently mix the salt and garlic in large shallow oven-proof glass dish. Try to break up the salt as much as possible.
5. Preheat the oven to 200ºF. Place the garlic salt in the oven to dry out about 20-30 minutes.
6. Once the moisture has been removed and it has cooled, use a fork to break up the salt.
7. Package in small jars.
Meyer Lemon Salt
3 lemons (preferably meyer)
1 cup kosher salt
1. Zest three lemons in a shallow oven-proof dish. Mix salt in with the lemon.
2. Juice one lemon into the salt. Mix the salt, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Be sure to use a fork or your fingers to break up the salt as much as possible.
3. Preheat the oven to 200ºF. Place the lemon salt in the oven for about 20-25 minutes to dry out the salt.
4. Wait for the salt to cool and use a fork or your fingers to break up salt.
5. Package up the salt in small jars.
1 tablespoon dried celery seed
2 tablespoons coarse salt
1. Process celery seeds in the blender or spice mill at highest speed until finely ground.
2. Add salt and process at high speed until the salt is as fine as you like.
3. Store in a small jar with a tight lid.
Get jelly size mason jars, paint the lids with chalkboard paint, let dry. Seal the salts in the mason jars and with chalk or a chalkboard pen write the appropriate name of the salt in that specific jar. Use salts to season your favorite meals.
Cinnamon Bloody Mary Mix
Ingredients (Yields 4)
32 oz tomato juice
1 tsp celery salt
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp dash black peppers
2/3 tsp dashes cayenne peppers
½ tsp dash salt
1 tsp hot sauce
1 ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
Mix all ingredients together and either transfer to mason jar for gifting (store in fridge) or into a shaker with 8 oz of your favorite vodka (or not). Shake and serve over ice.
To give as a gift; use beverage containers, tie ribbon around the neck and attach cinnamon sticks. Customize a label and give with your favorite vodka.
Marinated Goat Cheese
1 (8-ounce) goat cheese log
1 red bird's-eye chile
2 strip(s) lemon zest, pared from 1 lemon
2 bay leaves
1 sprig(s) fresh oregano
½ teaspoon(s) fennel seeds
2 clove(s) garlic, halved
2 cup(s) extra-virgin olive oil
Cut goat cheese log into 4 equal pieces; form into balls. Pack all 4 balls in a sterilized wide-necked jar. Cut chile in half, through the stalk. Add chile, lemon zest, bay leaves, oregano, fennel seeds, garlic to jar. Pour in olive oil to cover cheese. Seal jar and refrigerate until chilled, about 4 hours.
Package in a ½ pint mason jar. Paint the lids with chalkboard paint, let dry. With chalk or a chalkboard marker write the name on the lid.
Christmas Coal Popcorn
2 bags of plain popped popcorn
1 (6 oz) box Candy Canes, crushed
1 pack Oreo® Cookies, crushed
1 ½ cup white chocolate
1 ½ tsp peppermint extract or few drops of peppermint oil
Sprinkle of course sea salt
1. Prep mason jar by sanitizing the inside and painting chalkboard lid.
2. Melt the white chocolate over double boiler. Add the peppermint extract or oil to the chocolate and pour over popcorn.
3. Pour the popcorn in the very large bowl. Mix in crushed candy canes, Oreo® cookies and half of the melted chocolate over half of the chocolate popcorn and stir. Repeat using the remaining chocolate.
4. Pour popcorn on waxed paper, sprinkle with a tiny bit of salt and allow to harden. Once the popcorn has hardened, break into piece, transfer to mason jars, seal and decorate.
Package in a mason jar. Tie a tag around the mason jar and is great as a stocking stuffer ;)
Kendra's Hot Coco Kits
Things you'll need
- Hot coco
- Cellophane bags
- Candy Cane
Put hot coco in a cellophane bag place a marshmallow on top, tie with a ribbon and attach a candy cane. Place cellophane bag in mug. May also include a chocolate spoon or decorative spoon
Pure Food 2 U's Squash Flat Bread with Figs and Goat Cheese
Ingredients (Yield 24)
1 10-12 inch baked pizza crust
1/3 cup canned squash puree (seasoned with sea salt and pepper)
1/3 cup onion jam; see recipe below
¼ cup sliced dried figs (around 8 pieces whole pieces)
2-3 stalks kale, stemmed and cut into thin strips
¼ cup goat cheese or 2 oz. package
¼ cup fresh shaved parmesan
Pinch of chopped herbs or sage
1. Spread squash puree on pizza crust.
2. Arrange onion jam and figs over the top of pizza.
3. Sauté kale over medium heat adding a dash of water if needed. Wilt slightly and sprinkle on the top of the pizza.
4. Top with crumble goat cheese and finish with a sprinkling of parmesan.
5. Bake at 375 degree oven for about 6-8 minutes until cheese is golden and bubbly.
6. Cut into squares or wedges.
1 large onion sliced paper thin
¼ cup water
¼ cup sugar
3 tablespoons Braggs apple cider vinegar
1. Over low heat simmer all ingredients until onions are softened and translucent; about 10 minutes. Add more water if they become too sticky or dry.
2-Unique's Chicken Sausage Piggy's in a Blanket
Ingredients (Yield 20)
4 cooked chicken apple sausage links (they are sold at whole food market, trader Joe's and better store, they are usually around 5-6 oz. per sausage)
4 pieces of Danish dough six by four inches or puff pastry
½ cup yellow mustard for dip
1. Roll chicken sausage in Danish dough crimp ends on bottom of roll to seal.
2. Slice into five equal slices.
3. Place on a parchment lined sheet tray cut side up.
4. REPEAT 3 more times.
5. Bake at 350 for 12-18 minutes until golden serve warm or at room temperature with mustard dipping sauce.
Chef Kelli's Christmas Morning Monte Cristo Casserole
1 &1/2 cup whole milk or half and half
8 oz. turkey breast
8 oz. deli or honey ham~ diced
8 oz. cup Swiss cheese ~ grated
½ tsp. sea salt
2 cups sliced strawberries
½ cup strawberry jam
24 ounces of French bread or preferable croissants cut in medium cubes
¼ cup confectioners' sugar
1. In medium bowl mix eggs and milk
2. Toss meat and cheese together, (reserving a half cup) mix with cubed bread, add in milk egg mixture and toss all ingredients.
3. Pour mixture into greased 9x13 baking dish and sprinkle reserved half cup of meat and cheese
4. Bake uncovered at 325 degrees for about 20 minutes, cover when casserole starts to brown and bake an additional 10-15 minutes until cooked through.
5. Spread Jam evenly over the top, dust with powdered sugar and arrange sliced strawberries