Ascent, LLC is a leading provider of comprehensive solutions for the planning, design, engineering, development, and operation of data centers and other mission critical facilities. Headquartered in Saint Louis, MO, Ascent specializes in powerful, efficient, and technologically advanced mission critical facilities and offers clients a broad range of delivery models spanning shell & core, build-to-suit, turnkey, and outsourced critical systems operations. Founded in 1998, Ascent provides a full spectrum of fast track services that include project programming, design management, facility assessment, development and construction management, commissioning, and ongoing maintenance operations. Today, Ascent focuses on providing clients with innovative solutions and services yielding the highest levels of operational autonomy, efficiency, and control. Ascent's clients include some of the most demanding mission critical organizations spanning multiple industries, Fortune 500 firms, and service providers. Our business is growing fast and we are currently seeking a talented Data Center Engineer.
Ascent was named one of St. Louis' Top 50 Places to Work in 2012!
TITLE: Data Center Engineer
LOCATION: Northlake, IL
• Work as part of a team for the Mechanical Engineering Department on the following tasks:
• Prepare designs, specifications, and drawings for repair and replacement/upgrade of building mechanical systems and other related systems/components. Manage the RFP process.
• Lead Project Team and sub-contractors to ensure that projects are completed within established goals for quality, timeliness, budget, profitability, safety and customer satisfaction.
• Lead and organize project management activities -- reviewing and updating the budget, preparing and updating a project schedule, and establishing project communications, standards and files.
• Provide consulting/owner's rep services by proactively evaluating existing building systems and providing recommendations and a plan of action to repair/upgrade/enhance systems.
• Create positive client relationships and pursue new project opportunities that Ascent should engage in with existing customers. Continually develop a strong network with local contractors.
• Pre-construction responsibilities:
- Manage the preparation of designs, specifications and drawings for repair and replacement/upgrade of building electrical systems and other related systems/components.
- Create and distribute RFP's to include development of contractual terms and conditions relating to proposal/bid pricing. Evaluate responses, award contracts and oversee activity through satisfactory completion.
• Project Engineering/Management responsibilities:
- Manage the performance of construction administration services during major repair and replacement/upgrade of building electrical systems and other related systems/components.
- Supervise and coordinate sub-contractors to assure proper installation of equipment and delivery of services.
- Work closely with Ascent's clients and vendors to ensure on time, according to specifications, within budget implementation of projects.
- Maintain detailed records on all installed wiring, cabling, UPS, HVAC, fire protection, emergency generator, security and electrical systems and components.
• Consulting / Owner's Rep responsibilities:
- Manage and/or perform analysis, evaluations and investigations of existing buildings' electrical systems, with emphasis on power, lighting, life safety, communications and security.
- Prepare and review reports for electrical systems from a design, operation and maintenance perspective including identification of items requiring remedial action and estimated repair costs.
- Provide engineering, supervision and project management support for existing data center operations.
- Troubleshoot emergencies, potential problems and issues, and organize and supervise resolution.
• Ongoing Operations Support
- Provide ongoing technical support, management and oversight of vendors as necessary.
- Continually develop local contractor network associations.
• BS in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or other related field
• 5+ years of work related experience
• Candidate must be technically proficient in planning and scheduling, and exhibit excellent organizational skills.
• Candidate must possess strong communication skills, the ability to lead coordination meetings and actively facilitate progress in order to achieve scheduled goals.
• Candidate must have a disciplined approach to managing task assignments. People skills, good judgment, and flexibility are critical to this position.
• Knowledge of construction planning, mechanical or electrical systems necessary, building controls, fire systems, security systems; experience in these areas a plus.
• Ability to estimate projects using RS Means.
• Candidate will be able to work cooperatively with internal administration groups, and to deal directly with customers and contractors to reach mutually acceptable terms and conditions.
• Proficiency with MS Excel, MS Word, MS Project and Auto Cad is desired.
• Travel up to 50% of the time and ability to work flexible hours.
This position reports to the Manager of Project Engineering
Ascent, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer