LATEST NEWS: Attack in Libya kills US Ambassador Chris Stevens - KMSP-TV

Latest news on Libya consulate attack that killed US ambassador

Posted: Updated:

 U.S. officials confirm that the Obama administration is investigating whether the assault on the U.S. consulate in Libya was a planned terrorist strike to mark the anniversary of 9/11, and not a spontaneous mob enraged over a anti-Islamic YouTube video.

President Barack Obama vowed in a Rose Garden address that the U.S. would "work with the Libyan government to bring to justice" to those who killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans on the 11-year anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks.

The attack on the Benghazi consulate was too coordinated to be spontaneous, according to a U.S. counterterrorism official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the incident publicly.

It is still unclear who carried out or spurred the incident. Since the revolution last year, Libya has been plagued by gangs of former Gadhafi loyalists and radical Islamists within the city the U.S. helped liberate.

In Libya, central government control is still weak in the wake of Gadhafi's ouster. Arms are ubiquitous and militias are pervasive. An anti-terrorism team of 50 U.S. Marines is now on its way to Libya, and two warships are on their way toward the Libyan coast.

The crowd, which numbered several thousand strong, moved on the consulate Tuesday evening, firing in the air outside the compound. The consulate is a one-story villa located in a fenced garden in downtown Benghazi.

A small contingent of Libyan security forces protecting the facility also fired in the air, trying to intimidate them, said Wanis el-Sharef, the deputy interior minister of Libya's eastern region. However, faced with the mob's superior size and firepower, the Libyan security withdrew, el-Sharef said.

Gunmen stormed the building, looted its contents and torched it, according to el-Sharef. By the end of the assault, much of the building was burned out and trashed, leaving a charred shell behind.


US ambassador killed in consulate attack in Libya

Initial reports from the Associated Press said a mob enraged by a film ridiculing Islam's prophet was responsible for the attack that killed the first U.S. ambassador die in action in over 30 years. 

Though it's believed Ambassador Chris Stevens -- the first U.S. diplomat to die in the line of duty since 1979 -- was mortally injured on Sept. 11, his death was not confirmed until early on Wednesday.

Stevens, 52, died after he and a group of embassy employees went to the consulate to try to evacuate staff. They were still inside when the mob of protesters, including gunmen armed with machine guns and rocket-propelled grenade, attacked.

Al-Sharef said Stevens and a consulate staffer who had stayed behind in the building were killed in the initial attack on the consulate.

Stevens was visiting Benghazi to inaugurate an American culture center in the city. His body was identified by his Egyptian interpreter. There was no immediate confirmation of al-Sharef's account, according to the Associated Press.

A photograph captured Libyans trying to save Stevens as they transported him to the hospital where he later died.

Dr. Ziad Abu Zeid, who treated Stevens, told The Associated Press the U.S. diplomat died of asphyxiation, apparently from smoke. In a sign of the chaos during the attack, Stevens was brought by Libyans to the Benghazi Medical Center with no other Americans, and no one at the facility knew who he was, Abu Zeid said.

Stevens was practically dead when he arrived before 1 a.m. Wednesday, and "we tried to revive him for an hour and a half, but with no success," Abu Zeid said. The ambassador was bleeding in his stomach because of the asphyxiation but had no other injuries, he said.

Stevens was a career diplomat who spoke Arabic and French and had already served two tours in Libya, including running the office in Benghazi during the revolt against Gadhafi. He was confirmed as ambassador to Libya by the Senate earlier this year.

The State Department identified one of the other Americans killed as Sean Smith, a foreign service information management officer. The identities of the others were being withheld pending notification of next of kin.


Second attack wounds dozens as evacuees flee

It is still unknown whether he was specifically targeted, but the killings have shaken up the diplomatic community and relations with the West are growing tense.

Details of how the Americans were killed were still being pieced together Wednesday, but according to al-Sharef's account, two distinct attacks took place.

The rest of the staff that had successfully evacuated to another building nearby was preparing to move to Benghazi Airport after daybreak and fly to Tripoli, according to al-Sharef. However, hours after the storming of the consulate, a separate group of gunmen attacked the other building, opening fire on the more than 30 Americans and Libyans inside.

Two more Americans were killed in that attack and 32 were wounded -- 14 Americans and 18 Libyans in all.


Obama, Libyan interim president condemn violence

President Barack Obama strongly condemned the violence, vowed Wednesday to bring the killers to justice and tightened security at diplomatic posts around the world.

The attack presents a new foreign policy crisis for the United States in a region trying to recover from months of upheaval.

Libya's interim president, Mohammed el-Megarif, apologized for what he called the "cowardly" assault on the consulate, which also killed several Libyan security guards in the eastern city.

El-Megarif offered his condolences to the U.S. and also vowed to bring the culprits to justice and maintain his country's close relations with Washington.

"We extend our apology to America, the American people and the whole world," el-Megarif said.

"I strongly condemn the outrageous attack on our diplomatic facility in Benghazi," Obama said in Washington, adding the four Americans "exemplified America's commitment to freedom, justice, and partnership with nations and people around the globe."

Obama ordered increased security to protect American diplomatic personnel around world.

"Make no mistake, we will work with the Libyan government to bring to justice the killers who attacked our people," he said.

Obama added: "We reject all efforts to denigrate the religious beliefs of others, but there is absolutely no justification for this type of senseless violence, none."


Violent protests also erupt in Egypt over YouTube video

Violence also flared in Egypt, where a crowd of thousands protesting the film came to the U.S. Embassy in Cairo hours before the attack in Libya.

Protestors climbed the embassy walls and tore down an American flag, which they replaced briefly with a black, Islamist flag.

The protests were touched off by an obscure movie made in the United States by a filmmaker who calls Islam a "cancer." Video excerpts posted on YouTube depict the Prophet Muhammad as a fraud, a womanizer and a madman in an overtly ridiculing way, showing him having sex and calling for massacres.

The brazen assaults -- the first on U.S. diplomatic facilities in Libya and Egypt -- were signs of the lawlessness that has taken hold in Libya and Egypt after revolutions ousted their autocratic secular regimes and upended the tightly controlled police state in both countries.

Islamists, who were long repressed under the previous regimes, have emerged as a powerful force and made up the bulk of the protesters in both countries.

Moreover, security in both countries has broken down. Egypt's police, a once hated force blamed for massive human rights abuses, have yet to fully take back the streets after Hosni Mubarak's ouster in February 2011.

On Tuesday in Cairo, riot police stood by the embassy's walls but continued to allow protesters to climb them for several hours. The protesters, however, appeared to intentionally stick to certain limits: A few entered the embassy grounds to remove the flags and come back, but otherwise the chanting youth stayed on top of the walls without storming the compound or damaging property.

The uproar over the film also poses a new test for Egypt's Islamist president, Mohammed Morsi, who has yet to condemn the riot outside the U.S. Embassy in Cairo or say anything about the offending film.

The violence raised worries that further protests could break out around the Muslim world as knowledge of the anti-Islam movie spread. On Wednesday night, protestors were gathering outside the embassy in Cairo again.


Protesters rally in Tunisia, Gaza City over video

About 50 protesters burned American flags outside the U.S. Embassy in Tunisia's capital Wednesday but were kept away from the building by reinforced security.

In Gaza City, dozens of protesters carrying swords, axes and black flags chanted "Shame on everyone who insults the prophet." The rally was organized by supporters of a militant group aligned with the ruling Hamas movement.

Afghanistan's government sought to avert an outbreak of protests. President Hamid Karzai condemned the movie, which he describes as "inhuman and insulting." Authorities also temporarily shut down access to YouTube, the video-sharing site where excerpts of the movie were posted, said Aimal Marjan, general director of Information Technology at the Ministry of Communications.


Producer, director of video goes into hiding

The man who identified himself as the writer, producer and director of the movie has gone into hiding in the wake of the deadly attack, the Associated Press reports.

A man identifying himself as Sam Bacile, a real-estate developer in California who previously sponsored Burn the Koran Day on 9/11, previously claimed responsibility for the two-hour film titled "Innocence of Muslims," which came to attention in Egypt after its trailer was dubbed into Arabic and posted on YouTube.

He told the AP he was an Israeli Jew and an American citizen, but Israeli officials said they had not heard of Bacile and there was no record of him being a citizen. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not permitted to share personal information with the media.

Some key facts about Bacile's background and role in the film crumbled Wednesday as a Christian activist involved in the film project said that Bacile was a pseudonym, that he was not Jewish or Israeli, and that a group of Americans of Mideast origin collaborated on the film.

Several facts Bacile provided to the Associated Press soon proved false or questionable. For example, he initially told AP he was 56, but identified himself as being 74 on his YouTube profile.

Separately, the film was being promoted by an extreme anti-Muslim Egyptian Christian campaigner in the United States.


Conservative Islamic groups suspected in Benghazi attack

Ultraconservative Islamists also were suspected of being behind the Benghazi attack. Advocating a strict interpretation of Islam, they have bulldozed Sufi shrines and mosques that house tombs in the Libyan capital, Tripoli, and other cities, including ancient sites dating back to 5,000 years ago.

Heavily armed, ultraconservative groups like Ansar al-Shariah, or Supporters of Shariah, have claimed responsibility for the attacks on the shrines, declaring Sufi practices as "heretical."

Libya has been also hit by a series of recent attacks that served as evidence of the deep and persistent security vacuum in the country after the fall of Moammar Gadhafi's regime, which was ousted by rebels backed by a NATO air campaign. Many Libyans believe that unrest in their country is in part the work of Gadhafi's loyalists who want to undermine efforts to rebuild the country after last year's ruinous civil war.

___

The Associated Press contributed to this report. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Copyright 2012

Powered by WorldNow

KMSP-TV
11358 Viking Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Phone: (952) 944-9999
Fax: (952) 942-0455

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices