A Detroit family is still reeling from the pain and tragic life of a little girl's life cut short.
As a fire raged through a home on Cooper Street -- the three-year-old girl was trapped in an upstairs bedroom. Officials say her 4-year-old sister accidentally started the fire while playing with matches.
Ivory Ivey was still alive when she was rescued by firefighters, but later died from smoke inhalation. The first truck that came to the scene wasn't equipped for a fire rescue -- and couldn't even pump water. So the family had to wait for more help. And that time was critical.
There are still a lot of questions about what happened. The city's fire commissioner -- tells Fox2 he believes everything worked as it should.
Ivory's family wants Mayor Dave Bing to acknowledge their loss and address the issue of backlogged repairs on emergency vehicles. Union leaders tell Fox2 this is a tragedy that they feel could have been prevented.
The firefighters who rescued Ivory served as her pallbearers at her funeral. The family has set up a fund to help pay the funeral expenses. Donations can be made to the Ivory Ivey Fund at any Fifth/Third Bank.