BUFFALO SHRIMP SKEWERS
COURTESY of CHEF STEWART WOODMAN of HEIDI'S
INGREDIENTS: for shrimp/ sauce & crust below
1lb large shrimp (26/30) peeled and deveined /tail on
4- 6 inch long bamboo skewers, soaked in cold water ( pack of 30 or more)
Blue cheese sauce
2 T butter sauce
2 T of flour
1 c skim milk
3/4 t salt
2 ounces blue cheese
3 T butter
1/2 C panko crumbs (Japanese bread crumbs)
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp salt
FOR CHEESE SAUCE:
1.Melt butter over medium heat in med size (2qt ) saucepan. Add flour and cook
2 minutes, stirring constantly with wooden spoon.
2. Add milk and salt Turn heat to high and stir constantly wgile brining mixture to a boil
Reduce heat to medium and simmer 8 to 10 minutes, stirrung occasionally to prevent burning.
3. Reduce heat to low; add cheese and stir 30 seconds. Remove from heat. Cool sauce to room temperature
For Panko Crust
1. Heat large sauté pan over medium heat. Melt butter and add panko,cayenne and salt
2. Cook mixture over medium heat,stirring frequently until golden brown about 10 minutes.
Remove from heat. Drain toasted bread crumbs on a paper towel. Set aside.
TO PREPARE SHRIMP and SERVE:
FOR GRILLING: Turn on Grill
1. Hold shrimp straight push skewer through tail toward head. Repeat with each shrimp.
2. Grill shrimp over high heat - 1 to 2 minutes per side.
REMOVE from heat and allow shrimp to cool slightly
3. Dip each skewered shrimp into the blue cheese sauce to coat thinly. Roll shrimp in
panko crust crumbs and serve immediately . . . .
serves 25 to 30 pieces